Grantham Canal has at Hickling still its spacious basin. The Old Wharf & Warehouse is transformed into a cosy place where you enjoy a nice view while having a cup of coffee or tea.
Hickling Bridge was built in the traditional brick arched humpback style. Nowadays there are two culverts.
The old picture is taken before 1908. Beyond Hickling Bridge the sails of the windmill showing.
The Grantham Canal runs for 33 miles (53 km) from Grantham through 18 locks to West Bridgford/Nottingham, where it joins the River Trent. It was built primarily for the transportation of coal to Grantham. It opened in 1797 and its profitability steadily increased until 1841. It was then sold to a railway company, declined, and was finally closed in 1936. It was used as a water supply for agriculture, and so most of it remained in water after closure, although bridges were lowered. Since the 1970s, the Grantham Canal Society have been working to restore it.
Grantham Canal - Travel in Time is a project realised by new traces for the Grantham Canal Society.