The past ten years Grantham Canal Society has restored a series of three locks at Woolsthorpe by Belvoir. At the Woolsthorpe Wharf Carpenter’s Shop the society’s office is located. The Dirty Duck Pub serves drinks and meals.
From Woolsthorpe Bridge you enjoy a beautiful view downstream on Carpenter’s Lock and even further Woolsthorpe Middle Lock. Upstream there is the close by Willis’s Lock.
The Grantham Canal runs for 33 miles (53 km) from Grantham through 18 locks to West Bridgford/Nottingham, where it joins the River Trent. It was built primarily for the transportation of coal to Grantham. It opened in 1797 and its profitability steadily increased until 1841. It was then sold to a railway company, declined, and was finally closed in 1936. It was used as a water supply for agriculture, and so most of it remained in water after closure, although bridges were lowered. Since the 1970s, the Grantham Canal Society have been working to restore it.
Grantham Canal - Travel in Time is a project realised by new traces for the Grantham Canal Society.